Table of Contents
What is Crystal Boba Made of?
How to Use Crystal Boba?
Crystal Boba Flavors
How to Make Crystal Boba at Home?
While crystal boba is a little more time consuming to make than the regular tapioca pearl, it’s possible to create your own at home with the right ingredients and patience.
Here is a simple receipe for you to follow:
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp agar-agar powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Mix the ingredients: In a small pot, pour your water and agar-agar powder. Stir until the agar-agar has completely dissolved in the water. This should prevent lumps from forming.
- Add Sugar: Bring your mixture to a simmer then add in the sugar. Continue stirring until all the sugar has been completely dissolved.
- Prepare the Molds: While your mixture is simmering, prepare your straws or mold. For the traditional boba shape, you would need a boba straw. You can also use silicone molds if you'd like different shapes.
- Form the Boba: Once your mixture has simmered and thickened slightly (it should resemble a thin syrup), remove from heat. If you have a boba straw, you can dip the straw into the mixture, close off the top end, and then let the contents drip into a bowl of ice water to form the pearls.If you're using a mold, simply pour your mixture into the mold and place into the refrigerator until it completely sets, which should take about 1-2 hours.
- Rinse and Soak: Rinse your boba in cold water once it has solidified. If you'd like to sweeten it further, you can also make a simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, heated until sugar dissolves) and soak your boba in it for about 15 - 30 minutes.
- Serve!: Add the crystal boba into your favorite tea or drink, and they're ready to serve!
About the Author
Hello, I’m Lilith Wong. Welcome to my blog where I share authentic Chinese food and drink recipes.
Don’t know what to make today? See a random recipe!
Lilith Wong is a blog writer, food lover, and the founder of Exotic Food China.
Share this article!